The Top 10 at Darlington: Jeff Gordon
No one could argue the point that among active drivers in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, Jeff Gordon is the master of Darlington. Gordon leads all active drivers with six wins at the track "Too Tough To Tame," and is third on the all-time win list with six. His last victory came on Labor Day weekend of 2002.
Gordon has won the pole position at Darlington four times in 26 Cup Series starts. His average starting position has been sixth. He has posted an amazing 14 top five and 17 top 10 finishes with an average finish of 11th, and has led more than 1,500 laps.
Gordon will go down in the record books as the only driver in history to win four consecutive Labor Day weekend Southern 500s at Darlington. He is tied for all-time victories in that historic race with Cale Yarborough. Both drivers won the event five times.
Gordon is pictured here during one of the few relaxing moments at the action-packed 2006 Dodge Charger 500 weekend at Darlington.
- 354 UNITS OF BLOOD COLLECTED AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY BLOOD DRIVES IN 2014
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY, BOJANGLES’ EXTEND NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES RACE ENTITLEMENT THROUGH 2019
- THE TRADITION RETURNS! DARLINGTON RACEWAY’S BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 MOVING BACK TO LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN 2015
- 3,650 STRAIGHT DAYS! DARLINGTON MARATHON PARTICIPANT ROBBIE McLENDON TO ACHIEVE HIS ULTIMATE GOAL ON AUGUST 29
- Lesa France Kennedy to be Honored by National Women’s History Museum