The Champ at Darlington
Fresh from winning his first NEXTEL Cup Series championship, Jimmie Johnson is a hot topic on every racing-related TV show, radio program and website in the country. In 2004, though, Johnson's name was most often mentioned in conversations about Darlington Raceway.
Johnson swept both races that year at the track "Too Tough To Tame," including the 55th and final running of the legendary Mountain Dew Southern 500 in November.
In only eight Cup Series starts at Darlington, Johnson has earned a pair of victories, six top 10 finishes, and four finishes in the top five. His average starting position has been 7.142 with his average finishing position at 7.714. He has led 282 laps.
Johnson is pictured here sharing tips for Darlington success with his teammate and car owner Jeff Gordon during the 2006 Dodge Charger 500 weekend.
- ONE LUCKY DARLINGTON RACEWAY FAN TO RECEIVE PACE CAR RIDE WITH NASCAR DRIVER JEFF GORDON
- TONY STEWART, DANICA PATRICK, RYAN NEWMAN SCHEDULED FOR DARLINGTON STRIPE ZONE FAN HOSPITALITY
- CONGRATULATIONS DALE EARNHARDT JR. ON YOUR DAYTONA 500 VICTORY!
- SPORT CLIPS HAIRCUTS SIGNS A MULTI-YEAR PARTNERSHIP EXTENSION WITH DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- CAPITOL RECORDS RECORDING ARTIST JON PARDI TO PERFORM BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 PRE-RACE CONCERT