The Champ at Darlington
Fresh from winning his first NEXTEL Cup Series championship, Jimmie Johnson is a hot topic on every racing-related TV show, radio program and website in the country. In 2004, though, Johnson's name was most often mentioned in conversations about Darlington Raceway.
Johnson swept both races that year at the track "Too Tough To Tame," including the 55th and final running of the legendary Mountain Dew Southern 500 in November.
In only eight Cup Series starts at Darlington, Johnson has earned a pair of victories, six top 10 finishes, and four finishes in the top five. His average starting position has been 7.142 with his average finishing position at 7.714. He has led 282 laps.
Johnson is pictured here sharing tips for Darlington success with his teammate and car owner Jeff Gordon during the 2006 Dodge Charger 500 weekend.
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY OFFERING SPECIAL BLACK FRIDAY DEAL FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON
- STRONG COMMUNITY PARTNERS SAM CARBIS SOLUTIONS GROUP, SMITHFIELD MAKE SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW A SUCCESS
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO HOST “SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW” EVENT NOVEMBER 13-14
- THE TRADITION CONTINUES! DARLINGTON RACEWAY'S BOJANGLES' SOUTHERN 500 SCHEDULED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN 2016
- NASCAR DRIVERS JOEY LOGANO, JORDAN ANDERSON LEND SUPPORT FOR FLOOD RELIEF EFFORTS IN COLUMBIA, SC