The Champ at Darlington
Fresh from winning his first NEXTEL Cup Series championship, Jimmie Johnson is a hot topic on every racing-related TV show, radio program and website in the country. In 2004, though, Johnson's name was most often mentioned in conversations about Darlington Raceway.
Johnson swept both races that year at the track "Too Tough To Tame," including the 55th and final running of the legendary Mountain Dew Southern 500 in November.
In only eight Cup Series starts at Darlington, Johnson has earned a pair of victories, six top 10 finishes, and four finishes in the top five. His average starting position has been 7.142 with his average finishing position at 7.714. He has led 282 laps.
Johnson is pictured here sharing tips for Darlington success with his teammate and car owner Jeff Gordon during the 2006 Dodge Charger 500 weekend.
- START TIMES ANNOUNCED FOR DARLINGTON RACEWAY RACES
- The Tradition Returns! Darlington Raceway Announces Labor Day Weekend Commemorative Ticket Design
- NASCAR and NASCAR Team Properties Select Fanatics to Operate At-Track Merchandise Business
- Darlington Raceway, Raines Hospitality Make Donation To McLeod Children's Hospital
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO CELEBRATE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE LEADING INTO 2015 LABOR DAY WEEKEND