Paving Begins at Historic Darlington Raceway
Darlington, S.C. (Jan. 14, 2008) – Engine noise could be heard coming from historic Darlington Raceway on Monday well in advance of the 2008 Dodge Challenger 500. The engine noise came not from race cars, but from construction equipment being used to lay the first of two layers of new asphalt at the track “Too Tough to Tame.”
“This is a historic day for Darlington Raceway,” said Chris Browning, Darlington Raceway President. “It has been a busy off-season at Darlington Raceway and we look forward to showcasing our new racing surface and infield access tunnel for fans and competitors during the upcoming Dodge Challenger 500 weekend.”
The new asphalt surface at Darlington Raceway is part of a $10 million dollar capital improvement project that began following the 2007 Dodge Avenger 500. In addition to the new racing surface work is also underway to complete a new infield access tunnel large enough to accommodate race car haulers, motorcoaches and emergency vehicles.
Don’t miss your chance to see the stars of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as they take on the track “Too Tough to Tame” in the Dodge Challenger 500 on May 10, 2008. The racing action kicks off with the USAC Silver Crown Series and the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 on May 8th and 9th, respectively. Order your tickets now by calling 1-866-459-RACE or logging onto http://www.racetickets.com.
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM
- NASCAR HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES RICHARD CHILDRESS, RICK HENDRICK, MARK MARTIN TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 GRAND MARSHALS