Jeff Burton First NASCAR Driver to See New Surface at Darlington Raceway
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Feb. 20, 2008) – Construction crews working to repave Darlington Raceway received a visit from NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Jeff Burton on Wednesday. Burton, driver of the No. 31 AT&T Mobility Richard Childress Racing entry, spent time talking with the crew working on the project and then went to work himself, driving a milling machine in turn 3.
Click here to view photo gallery.
“I have never driven so slow at Darlington,” joked Burton after he finished milling the asphalt in turn 3. “A project of this magnitude shows a commitment to Darlington Raceway, and that is something that race fans everywhere should be very pleased with.”
Burton, winner of the 50th Southern 500 (August 22, 1999), was also presented with a historic piece of the start-finish line by Darlington Raceway President, Chris Browning.
“Jeff has been one of Darlington Raceway’s biggest fans,” said Browning. “His milestone win in the 50th Southern 500 was part of a season sweep that he accomplished in 1999 at Darlington, and it seemed fitting that he receive a piece of the historic start-finish line.”
“I consider winning the 50th Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway the biggest win of my career,” said Burton. “Winning at Darlington is more than a trip to victory lane and a trophy; it means your name goes down in the record books as a winner at one of NASCAR’s most historic tracks.”
Don’t miss your chance to see Jeff Burton and the stars of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as they take on the track “Too Tough to Tame” in the Dodge Challenger 500 on May 10, 2008. The racing action kicks off with the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 on 9th. Order your tickets and Colvin Grill all-you-can-eat package now by calling 1-866-459-RACE or logging onto http://www.racetickets.com.
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO HOST “SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW” EVENT NOVEMBER 7-8
- 354 UNITS OF BLOOD COLLECTED AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY BLOOD DRIVES IN 2014
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY, BOJANGLES’ EXTEND NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES RACE ENTITLEMENT THROUGH 2019
- THE TRADITION RETURNS! DARLINGTON RACEWAY’S BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 MOVING BACK TO LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN 2015
- 3,650 STRAIGHT DAYS! DARLINGTON MARATHON PARTICIPANT ROBBIE McLENDON TO ACHIEVE HIS ULTIMATE GOAL ON AUGUST 29