Jeff Burton First NASCAR Driver to See New Surface at Darlington Raceway
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Feb. 20, 2008) – Construction crews working to repave Darlington Raceway received a visit from NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Jeff Burton on Wednesday. Burton, driver of the No. 31 AT&T Mobility Richard Childress Racing entry, spent time talking with the crew working on the project and then went to work himself, driving a milling machine in turn 3.
Click here to view photo gallery.
“I have never driven so slow at Darlington,” joked Burton after he finished milling the asphalt in turn 3. “A project of this magnitude shows a commitment to Darlington Raceway, and that is something that race fans everywhere should be very pleased with.”
Burton, winner of the 50th Southern 500 (August 22, 1999), was also presented with a historic piece of the start-finish line by Darlington Raceway President, Chris Browning.
“Jeff has been one of Darlington Raceway’s biggest fans,” said Browning. “His milestone win in the 50th Southern 500 was part of a season sweep that he accomplished in 1999 at Darlington, and it seemed fitting that he receive a piece of the historic start-finish line.”
“I consider winning the 50th Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway the biggest win of my career,” said Burton. “Winning at Darlington is more than a trip to victory lane and a trophy; it means your name goes down in the record books as a winner at one of NASCAR’s most historic tracks.”
Don’t miss your chance to see Jeff Burton and the stars of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as they take on the track “Too Tough to Tame” in the Dodge Challenger 500 on May 10, 2008. The racing action kicks off with the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 on 9th. Order your tickets and Colvin Grill all-you-can-eat package now by calling 1-866-459-RACE or logging onto http://www.racetickets.com.
- Sport Clips Haircuts Joins Darlington Raceway’s Tribute to the 1970’s
- COUNTRY MUSIC LEGEND TANYA TUCKER TO PERFORM BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 NATIONAL ANTHEM
- SUPPORT THE VFW’s SPORT CLIPS HELP A HERO SCHOLARSHIPS BY PURCHASING A NASCAR XFINITY SERIES RACE TICKET AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- FOR KIDS ONLY! DARLINGTON RACEWAY RASCALS PRESENTED BY FUTURE SCHOLAR LAUNCHES AT TRACK “TOO TOUGH TO TAME”
- 1970’s ICONIC BAND GRAND FUNK RAILROAD TO PERFORM BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 PRE-RACE CONCERT PRESENTED BY COCA-COLA