New Asphalt, Same Attitude: Paving Complete at Darlington Raceway
DARLINGTON, S.C. (March 5, 2008) – Paving of the racing surface at Darlington Raceway has been completed, track President Chris Browning announced today.
“This begins a new chapter in the history books at Darlington Raceway,” said Browning. “We are very excited to be finished with the paving so that we can now focus on preparing for the upcoming Dodge Challenger 500 race weekend, May 8-10.”
Paving at Darlington Raceway began in mid-January, took nearly 15,000 tons of asphalt to complete and replaced a surface that was laid in 1994. Construction crews utilized 4 million reference points around the legendary track to ensure that the transitions in the corners and banking stayed true to the track’s original design.
The new racing surface was part of a $10 million capital improvement project that also included an infield access tunnel large enough to accommodate car haulers, motor homes and emergency vehicles and the addition of SAFER barrier walls to interior concrete walls on the frontstretch and backstretch.
“All of the upgrades that we have completed during this capital improvement project will play a vital role in the future of Darlington Raceway,” said Browning.
Next up at the track “Too Tough to Tame” is a Goodyear tire test on March 10 and 11. The two-day test session will be the first time race cars have been on the new pavement and will include seven-time Darlington winner, Jeff Gordon, two-time Darlington winner, Greg Biffle and 2008 Daytona 500 champion, Ryan Newman. The test will be closed to the public, but fans can logon to http://www.darlingtonraceway.com for updates.
Don’t miss your chance to see the stars of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as they take on the track “Too Tough to Tame” in the Dodge Challenger 500 on May 10, 2008. The racing action kicks off with the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 on May 9th. Order your tickets and Colvin Grill all-you-can-eat package now by calling 1-866-459-RACE or logging onto http://www.racetickets.com.
- NBC SPORTS AND NASCAR PRODUCTIONS PRESENT "SOUTHERN SPEED: THE LEGEND OF DARLINGTON,” A ONE-HOUR ORIGINAL SPECIAL TONIGHT AT 9PM ET ON NBCSN
- STATEMENT FROM ISC CEO LESA FRANCE KENNEDY ON THE PASSING OF BETTY JANE FRANCE
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER