Cars and Stars Highlight the Inaugural Darlington Historic Racing Festival
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Aug. 31, 2008) – The garage area at Darlington Raceway was alive with the rumbling of race car engines on Labor Day weekend for the first time since 2003. The Darlington Historic Racing Festival brought thundering engines from stock cars, Indy roadsters, modifieds, sprint cars and midgets.
Photo Gallery: Click Here
The two-day festival was highlighted with appearances by some of NASCAR’s all-time greats including: David Pearson, Junior Johnson, Darrell Waltrip, Buddy Baker, Bobby and Donnie Allison, Marvin Panch and many more.
“I was really impressed with this festival, it is great to see so many cars and drivers turnout for this inaugural event,” said 1961 Daytona 500 winner Marvin Panch. “This weekend was the first time I had been to Darlington since 1965 and the place looks great, this track truly is one of the crown jewels of NASCAR racing.”
“I would never miss the chance to turn a few more laps at Darlington Raceway,” said 10-time Darlington winner David Pearson. “I have had a great time this weekend catching-up with these guys that I don’t get a chance to see very often anymore.”
There was plenty for fans to see and do at the festival throughout the weekend. In addition to question and answer and autograph sessions with the NASCAR legends, over 125 cars were on display at the event with nearly 100 of the cars turning laps on the historic 1.336-mile egg-shaped oval.
“This has been a great event for the fans, entrants and NASCAR legends,” said Darlington Raceway President, Chris Browning. “It was great to have such a full garage and paddock area on Labor Day weekend at Darlington Raceway again.”
For fans who wish to purchase tickets to the events at Darlington Raceway in 2009 seat request orders are being taken to secure your spot in the grandstand of your choice. Tickets to the 2009 Southern 500, as well as the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 will go on-sale to the general public on September 20, 2008. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Darlington Raceway ticket office at 866-459-RACE or online at http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/tickets/.
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM
- NASCAR HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES RICHARD CHILDRESS, RICK HENDRICK, MARK MARTIN TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 GRAND MARSHALS