Darlington Raceway Unveils 60th Season of Racing Logo for 2009
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Aug. 30, 2008) – Darlington Raceway will celebrate its 60th season of racing in 2009 and to kickoff that celebration track president, Chris Browning, unveiled a new track logo today during the Inaugural Darlington Historic Racing Festival.
“2009 will be a very special year for Darlington Raceway as we celebrate 60 historic seasons of racing,” said Browning. “The Inaugural Darlington Historic Racing Festival was certainly the perfect place to unveil this new logo.”
A track rich in tradition, Darlington Raceway’s first race, the Southern 500, took place on September 4, 1950. Californian Johnny Mantz drove to victory that day after starting in the back of a 75-car field. Since then, names like Baker, Flock, Thomas, Pearson, Yarborough, Petty, and Earnhardt became commonplace in Victory Lane.
Darlington quickly became known as the track “Too Tough to Tame” among the sport’s top competitors because of the track’s unique egg-shape and gritty racing surface.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series continues to make an annual stop at the South Carolina facility for the Southern 500 on Mother’s Day weekend.
For those fans who wish to purchase tickets to the events at Darlington Raceway in 2009 seat request orders are being taken to secure your spot in the grandstand of your choice. Tickets to the 2009 Southern 500, as well as the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 will go on-sale to the general public on September 20, 2008. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Darlington Raceway ticket office at 866-459-RACE or online at http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/tickets/.
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY OFFERING SPECIAL BLACK FRIDAY DEAL FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON
- STRONG COMMUNITY PARTNERS SAM CARBIS SOLUTIONS GROUP, SMITHFIELD MAKE SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW A SUCCESS
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO HOST “SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW” EVENT NOVEMBER 13-14
- THE TRADITION CONTINUES! DARLINGTON RACEWAY'S BOJANGLES' SOUTHERN 500 SCHEDULED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN 2016
- NASCAR DRIVERS JOEY LOGANO, JORDAN ANDERSON LEND SUPPORT FOR FLOOD RELIEF EFFORTS IN COLUMBIA, SC