Fan Voting for the Top Moment In Darlington Raceway History Now Open
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Feb. 3, 2009) – Fans of Darlington Raceway are being put to the ultimate test – voting on the most memorable moment in the 60 year history of the track “Too Tough to Tame.” Online voting begins today on the track’s website – DarlingtonRaceway.com.
“There have been so many historic moments that have taken place at Darlington it is going to be a tough task to choose just one,” said Darlington Raceway President, Chris Browning. “From the largest margin of victory when Ned Jarrett won the Southern 500® in 1965 to the closest finish in NASCAR history in 2003, Darlington has certainly played a role in writing the NASCAR history books.”
Fans will be able to select one of the following moments as the top moment in Darlington Raceway history:
· 1950, Inaugural Southern 500® at Darlington Raceway.
· 1965, Ned Jarrett wins Southern 500® by largest margin in NASCAR history, 14 laps.
· 1967, Richard Petty records his 55th career victory at Darlington, pushing him past his father Lee on the all-time wins list.
· 1968, South Carolina natives David Pearson and Cale Yarborough record their first Darlington victories. Pearson goes on to win a total of 10 races at the Lady in Black while Yarborough wins a record five Southern 500®’s in his career.
· 1977, Darrell Waltrip wins his first Superspeedway race beating Bobby Allison, Richard Petty and David Pearson in dramatic fashion.
· 1980, David Pearson wins his 10th and final race at Darlington Raceway. It was Pearson’s 105th and final career victory.
· 1982, Dale Earnhardt breaks his 39 race winless streak and wins the Rebel 500. It was Earnhardt’s first of nine Darlington wins.
· 1985, Bill Elliott wins the first ever Winston Million in the Southern 500®.
· 1995, Jeff Gordon wins his first race at Darlington Raceway in the Southern 500®.
· 1999, Jeff Burton wins the historic 50th running of the Southern 500® at Darlington Raceway.
· 2003, In the 100th Sprint Cup race at Darlington Raceway Ricky Craven beats Kurt Busch in dramatic fashion. Craven’s margin of victory is .002 second and is a NASCAR record that still stands today.
· 2005 – 2006, Greg Biffle wins back-to-back events at the track “Too Tough to Tame.”
Fans are encouraged to check DarlingtonRaceway.com often to keep up with the poll results. The top Darlington Raceway Moment will be announced prior to the 2009 Southern 500®.
Darlington Raceway or the track “Too Tough to Tame” as it is known to many, is where the purest of NASCAR competition meets true southern hospitality. A NASCAR staple since 1950, Darlington Raceway has seen some of motorsports most talented drivers thunder to Victory Lane. In 2009 a NASCAR tradition, the Southern 500®, will return as Darlington Raceway celebrates 60 Seasons of Racing.
Be a part of history when Darlington Raceway celebrates 60 years of racing in 2009. Tickets to the 2009 Southern 500®, as well as the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 are on-sale now. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Darlington Raceway ticket office at 866-459-RACE or online at http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/tickets/.
- JLF BRINGS TOUCH A TRUCK TO THE PEE DEE
- DARLINGTON COUNTY EDUCATION FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES COUNTRY CONCERT AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY CELEBRATES HISTORY WITH TUNNEL BRANDING PROJECT
- “TURN 3 THEATER PRESENTED BY RACEWAY FORD CHEVROLET” RETURNS TO DARLINGTON RACEWAY!
- BOJANGLES’ LEGENDS BREAKFAST BRINGS NASCAR HALL OF FAMERS TO DARLINGTON RACEWAY