Darlington Raceway Walls Go Retro For Southern 500® Presented By Godaddy.Com
DARLINGTON, S.C. (April 20, 2009) – When spectators and competitors arrive at Darlington Raceway for the May 9th Southern 500 presented by GoDaddy.com everyone will notice one distinct difference – red and white retaining walls surrounding the track “Too Tough to Tame.”
“Giving the most famous walls on the NASCAR circuit a retro facelift seemed very fitting as part of our 60th celebration,” said track President, Chris Browning. “This is the first time since 1989 that the walls have been painted anything but white and it certainly reminds me of the early days of NASCAR racing.”
The walls are painted in 40-foot sections alternating red and white and took nearly 50 hours and 315 gallons of paint to complete. In addition to the red and white paint scheme, a retro font was used for the Darlington Raceway signage at the start/finish line.
Asked if he thought the new red and white paint scheme would make for a kinder, gentler wall Browning responded: “Ask Pearson or Yarborough how forgiving the walls were when they were racing here, but I know we will still see plenty of Darlington stripes in 2009.”
Darlington Raceway or the track “Too Tough to Tame” as it is known to many, is where the purest of NASCAR competition meets true southern hospitality. A NASCAR staple since 1950, Darlington Raceway has seen some of motorsports most talented drivers thunder to Victory Lane. In 2009, a NASCAR tradition, the Southern 500® presented by GoDaddy.com, will return as Darlington Raceway celebrates 60 Seasons of Racing.
Be a part of history when Darlington Raceway celebrates 60 years of racing in 2009. Tickets to the 2009 Southern 500® presented by GoDaddy.com, as well as the NASCAR Nationwide Series Diamond Hill Plywood 200 are on-sale now. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Darlington Raceway ticket office at 866-459-RACE or online at http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/tickets/.
- STATEMENT FROM ISC CEO LESA FRANCE KENNEDY ON THE PASSING OF BETTY JANE FRANCE
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM