Commemorative Darlington 60th Season DVD Now Available
DARLINGTON, S.C. (May 28, 2009) – Fans of Darlington Raceway and the Southern 500 can now own a piece of history – a commemorative DVD of the 2009 Southern 500 presented by GoDaddy.com.
Darlington Raceway has worked with NASCAR Media Group to produce a special DVD of the 2009 Southern 500 presented by GoDaddy.com. Each DVD includes:
• Full broadcast length version of the 60th running of the Southern 500 presented by GoDaddy.com
• Downloadable screen savers for PC or MAC users
• Free 5X7 print from Officially licensed artist Stephen Balok
• Coupon from NASCAR.com
DVD’s can be purchased by visiting the track’s website, DarlingtonRaceway.com, for only $9.99 plus tax and shipping and handling. Click HERE to order now!
Fifty-year-old Mark Martin, a throwback to the old days, charged home ahead of three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Jimmie Johnson and other younger drivers to win the Southern 500, a 367-lap marathon on what is known as NASCAR's toughest track.
Physically fit and pumped up for the season in a Hendrick Chevrolet, Martin ran with the big dogs up front all night, keeping his car in one piece and saving the best for last.
It was a record-setting night for cautions under a full South Carolina moon. Seventeen times the caution waved as driver after driver made contact with Darlington's famous walls. Most of them didn't just get a Darlington Stripe as is the norm for this 1.366-mile, egg-shaped oval. They hit hard enough to take the paint off the whole right side of the car.
Martin, one of NASCAR's longest-running superstars, was greeted afterwards with a thundering roar from the crowd of more than 70,000, who obviously appreciated Martin's unbelievable run on a muggy South Carolina night. Martin proved once again he still has what it takes to get the job done.
Darlington Raceway or the track “Too Tough to Tame” as it is known to many, is where the purest of NASCAR competition meets true southern hospitality. A NASCAR staple since 1950, Darlington Raceway has seen some of motorsports most talented drivers thunder to Victory Lane. In 2009, a NASCAR tradition, the Southern 500®, returned to Darlington Raceway as part of the famed track’s celebration of 60 Seasons of Racing.
Don’t miss the 2009 Darlington Historic Racing Festival. The event will feature something for the entire family. Tickets for the event are $15 per day or $25 for the entire weekend, kids age 12 and under will be admitted free and each admission includes access to the garage and infield area. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Darlington Raceway ticket office at 843-395-8802 or online at http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/tickets/.
- MULTI-PLATINUM RECORDING ARTISTS’ KANSAS TO PERFORM BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 PRE-RACE CONCERT PRESENTED BY GEICO
- FOR KIDS ONLY! DARLINGTON RACEWAY RASCALS ‘KIDS DAY’ PRESENTED BY FUTURE SCHOLAR SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 18
- ALMIROLA AND STP THROWBACK TO 1979 AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA DECLARES “DARLINGTON RACEWAY WEEK”
- SHELL CONTINUES HERITAGE THEME IN 2016 WITH DARLINGTON SOUTHERN 500 “THROWBACK”