Darlington Raceway Considering The Addition Of A Boxing Ring Behind Pit Road
DARLINGTON, S.C. (May 14, 2012) – Following a second-straight year of post-race altercations on pit road between NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers and their teams, Darlington Raceway President Chris Browning is considering the idea of constructing a permanent boxing ring behind pit road so drivers have the ability to work out their differences before they leave the track Too Tough to Tame.
The idea developed after Saturday night’s confrontation with crew members from competing teams following the conclusion of the Bojangles’ Southern 500, which was won by Jimmie Johnson.
Darlington Raceway has always fueled high emotions among drivers and teams because of the importance and magnitude of what a win at the historic track means. The stress and tension brings out that unique ‘Southern 500 emotion’ in teams, as perfectly described by Michael Waltrip during the race broadcast on FOX last Saturday.
“After having post-race altercations in back-to-back seasons, we are considering the idea of adding a boxing ring on the turn 4 side of pit road to accommodate the drivers should they need to settle their differences after the race,” Browning said. “With all the driver controversy that comes out of our exciting events it only makes sense to consider the idea for the 2013 season.”
Darlington Raceway, or the track Too Tough To Tame, as it is known to many, is where the purest of NASCAR competition meets true southern hospitality. A NASCAR staple since 1950, Darlington Raceway has seen some of motorsports most talented drivers thunder to Gatorade Victory Lane. On Mother’s Day weekend, May 11-12, 2012, NASCAR’s biggest stars return to battle the track Too Tough To Tame in the Sprint Cup Series Bojangles Southern 500® and Nationwide Series VFW Sport Clips Help a Hero 200.
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY OFFERING SPECIAL BLACK FRIDAY DEAL FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON
- STRONG COMMUNITY PARTNERS SAM CARBIS SOLUTIONS GROUP, SMITHFIELD MAKE SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW A SUCCESS
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO HOST “SPEED & FEED BBQ COOK-OFF AND CAR SHOW” EVENT NOVEMBER 13-14
- THE TRADITION CONTINUES! DARLINGTON RACEWAY'S BOJANGLES' SOUTHERN 500 SCHEDULED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND IN 2016
- NASCAR DRIVERS JOEY LOGANO, JORDAN ANDERSON LEND SUPPORT FOR FLOOD RELIEF EFFORTS IN COLUMBIA, SC