Darlington Raceway Sprints Into History With New Book
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Feb. 26, 2013) – Darlington Raceway has been part of the landscape of South Carolina and of NASCAR for over six decades and a new nostalgic book celebrates the history of the track through extraordinary vintage images.
From races run on dirt and clay to the paved speedways of today, the historic events, colorful characters, and memorable moments of “The Lady in Black” are revealed in more than 200 vintage images.
Author Cathy Elliott sees Darlington Raceway as “more than just a race track that comes alive once a year,” and describes why many locals consider the speedway part of the family. “Darlington is an integral member of her community, part of its very identity. Everyone in town has at least one story about the track,” Elliott said.
The book’s forward was written by Darlington Raceway vice president and general manager Terry “Mac” Josey, who has been part of the track’s staff for over 20 years, witnessing many of the great moments in the Lady in Black’s history.
Darlington Raceway is Arcadia Publishing’s first historical race track book to be published as part of a new licensing agreement with the NASCAR Library Collection, which provides a high level of authentication and quality to NASCAR-licensed books.
Captivating highlights of Darlington Raceway:
- Provides a comprehensive visual story of the evolution of both the speedway and the sport of NASCAR racing, from the Raceway’s inaugural race to the most recent event
- Feature images from both the Darlington Raceway collection and local residents, presenting a more personal view of the track
- Offers a rare, behind-the-scenes look at what a NASCAR driver really experiences on a race day
- Illustrates even the non-stock car racing events at Darlington Raceway that reinforces the fact that the track is not merely a structure to the Darlington-area community
- Showcases include drivers like Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson
The book is available now at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or from the publisher at www.arcadiapublishing.com.
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. For more information visit: www.arcadiapublishing.com/NASCAR.
NASCAR® and the NASCAR Library Collection are registered trademarks of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc.
Tickets to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500 on May 11 and Nationwide Series 200 on Friday, May 10 are on sale now! Remember, kids 12 and under are half off for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 and FREE for the Nationwide Series 200 in general admission sections. Visit www.DarlingtonRaceway.com or call 866-459-7223 for tickets.You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame.
- KEVIN HARVICK WINS NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- 2014 Bojangles' Southern 500 Results
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY ANNOUNCES PLANS TO HONOR ITS HISTORY AND SHAPE ITS FUTURE
- CHASE ELLIOTT WINS NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES VFW SPORT CLIPS HELP A HERO 200 AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- 2014 VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 Results
No Events Found