American Cancer Society Relay For Life At Darlington Raceway Set For Saturday
DARLINGTON, S.C. (May 29, 2013) – The American Cancer Society Relay for Life event at Darlington Raceway will take place on Saturday, June 1, at the track Too Tough To Tame. The relay was rescheduled from its original April 19 date due to inclement weather.
The event will take place in the infield of The Lady in Black, beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday and ending at approximately 11 p.m. The Relay for Life events are a major fundraiser for the American Cancer Society every year.
With the event being held at a historic venue like Darlington Raceway, residents are encouraged to come out and participate in the fight against cancer.
“It was unfortunate that we had to reschedule the event from April due to the weather, but it’s shaping up to be great weather for our Relay this Saturday,” American Cancer Society Area Executive Director Kathy Stokes said. “The track provides a great backdrop for our event and it’s a great location in Darlington County, which teams participating are excited about.”
The Relay for Life event, which was held at Darlington Raceway several years ago, took place in Hartsville, S.C. for seven years before returning to the track in 2012. Darlington Raceway appreciates that community organizations view the track as a special venue to host their fundraising events.
“We are more than happy to host this event for the American Cancer Society,” Darlington President Chris Browning said back in April. “Darlington Raceway provides a good centralized and historic location to host an event like this and we encourage our local residents to attend and help raise money for a great cause in the fight against cancer.”
Thus far, 37 teams are scheduled to participate with a fundraising goal of $165,000 for the 2013 event.
“Relay is a unique opportunity for our community to come together to celebrate people who have battled cancer, remember those we have lost, and fight back against the disease, Darlington County Relay for Life Event Chair, Sandy Jones said. “Many of the participants are cancer survivors, which serves as a reminder that Darlington County is not immune to this disease and that by participating in Relay, we are joining with the American Cancer Society’s efforts to create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.”
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM
- NASCAR HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES RICHARD CHILDRESS, RICK HENDRICK, MARK MARTIN TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 GRAND MARSHALS