Darlington Raceway Recognized By NASCAR Green For Environmental Contributions
DARLINGTON, S.C. (Sept. 11, 2013) – Darlington Raceway was among seven International Speedway Corp. (ISC) facilities recognized by NASCAR Green for its environmental initiatives today.
The track Too Tough To Tame was honored at the 2013 NASCAR Green Summit with the Track Operator Award for its efforts in partnering with Clemson University to plant switchgrass on the speedway property for future use in the production of bio-fuels.
“We are honored that NASCAR Green has recognized us as a leader in our industry with our green initiatives, most notably the acres of switchgrass we have planted on our property in partnership with Clemson University,” Darlington Raceway President Chip Wile said. “We recognize that the environment and conservation are important to the sport and our fans and it’s also simply the right thing to do.”
Darlington Raceway has had a strong history of environmental contributions to the sport, which includes participation in the NASCAR Green Clean Air Tree Planting Program Driven by UPS. The program has planted nearly 200 trees in the local Darlington community over the past two years.
The 2013 NASCAR Green Summit Delivered by UPS, commemorated five years of innovative changes to the sport’s environmental footprint. The event examined the substantive initiatives that have helped make NASCAR the sustainability leader in sports.
Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Racing Operations, presented the NASCAR Green track operator awards today to Auto Club Speedway of Southern California, Darlington Raceway, Daytona International Speedway, Kansas Speedway, Michigan International Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and Watkins Glen International.Darlington Raceway, or the track Too Tough To Tame as it is known to many, is where the purest of NASCAR competition meets true southern hospitality. A NASCAR staple since 1950, Darlington Raceway has seen some of motorsports most talented drivers thunder to Gatorade Victory Lane. You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame.
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM
- NASCAR HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES RICHARD CHILDRESS, RICK HENDRICK, MARK MARTIN TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 GRAND MARSHALS