CHASE ELLIOTT WINS NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES VFW SPORT CLIPS HELP A HERO 200 AT DARLINGTON RACEWAY
DARLINGTON, S.C. (April 11, 2014) – Chase Elliott became Darlington Raceway’s youngest race winner in the NASCAR Nationwide Series after taking the checkered flag in tonight’s VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200.
Elliott won the race at 18 years, four months and 14 days old. Brian Vickers was the previous youngest Nationwide Series winner at 19 years, 10 months and six days in 2003.
After a late caution flag, Elliott Sadler, driving the No. 11 Sport Clips Toyota, came out of the pits in first place following a two-tire stop with two laps remaining. Elliott managed to move into second after the first restart lap and overtook Sadler with one last exciting pass in turns three and four on the final lap to secure his first Darlington win.
Sadler finished second, followed by Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch and Joey Logano rounding out the top five.
Elliott is only the fourth driver and the first since 1952 to win in his first NASCAR National Series start at Darlington Raceway (Johnny Mantz in 1950, Herb Thomas in 1951 and Dick Rathmann in 1952 are the others).
Elliott’s name holds a great deal of historical significance at Darlington Raceway. His father, Bill, won five NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at the Lady in Black. Bill’s victory in the 1985 Southern 500 also earned him the Winston Million.
Walk-up tickets to tomorrow’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500 are available.You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame.
- DENNY HAMLIN AND SPORT CLIPS TO HONOR MILITARY AT FT. BRAGG, UNVEIL "THROWBACK" SCHEME FOR DARLINGTON RACE WEEKEND
- NASCAR NATIONAL SERIES TRACKS TO OFFER FREE YOUTH TICKETING FOR NASCAR XFINITY & NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES RACES IN 2017
- SOUTH CAROLINA’S OWN AND NASCAR HALL OF FAME MEMBER CALE YARBOROUGH TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 HONORARY PACE CAR DRIVER
- VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 THROWBACK PAINT SCHEME ON NASCAR.COM
- NASCAR HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES RICHARD CHILDRESS, RICK HENDRICK, MARK MARTIN TO SERVE AS BOJANGLES’ SOUTHERN 500 GRAND MARSHALS