DARLINGTON RACEWAY ANNOUNCES STAGE LENGTHS FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND RACES
DARLINGTON, SOUTH CAROLINA (Feb. 16, 2017) – Darlington Raceway, in conjunction with NASCAR, has announced its stage lengths for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500 and NASCAR XFINITY Series Sport Clips Haircuts VFW 200 events, scheduled for Sept. 2-3, 2017 (Labor Day weekend).
The Bojangles’ Southern 500 will be split into three stages, with the caution flag coming out on lap 100 and lap 200. The scheduled length of the event has not changed with the checkered flag still scheduled for lap 367, making the final stage a 167-lap affair.
The Sport Clips Haircuts VFW 200 race will also be divided into three stages, with the caution flag being displayed on lap 45 and lap 90 with the checkered flag still scheduled for lap 147 like in years past.
Pit road will close with two laps prior to the end of each stage under green flag conditions for both races.
“This new format, incorporating stages into our races, will add a great deal of excitement to our Bojangles’ Southern 500 and Sport Clips Haircuts VFW 200 events,” track President Kerry Tharp said. “It adds another level of strategy for the teams and will reward drivers by earning points throughout the race for their performance. It will be fun to see the new format unveiled when we kick off the season with the Daytona 500 on February 26.”
Increasing the sense of urgency and emphasizing aggressive racing and strategy, the race format will deliver more dramatic moments over the course of an entire race and season, with playoff point incentives on the line throughout.
The enhanced format will also consist of the following:
- The top-10 finishers of the first two stages will be awarded additional championship points.
- The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to his or her reset total following race No. 26, if that competitor makes the playoffs.
- All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the playoffs (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.
- Championship points following the first two stages will be awarded on a descending scale, with the stage winner receiving 10 points, second receiving 9 points, and so on.
- The race winner following the final stage will now receive 40 points, second-place will receive 35, third-place 34, fourth-place 33, and so on.
Darlington Raceway’s award-winning throwback campaign is now The Official Throwback Weekend of NASCAR featuring the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500® on Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017. The NASCAR XFINITY Series Sport Clips Haircuts VFW 200 will race on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017 with kids 12 and under free in general admission seating areas. Tickets are on sale now by calling 866-459-7223 or visiting DarlingtonRaceway.com.You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame. Fans are encouraged to post their Bojangles’ Southern 500 stories and memories at #TraditionContinues, #BojanglesSo500 and #SportClips200.
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY TO HOST PALMETTO GOODWILL GREAT PEE DEE YARD SALE ON SATURDAY, APRIL 22
- REGISTRATIONS STILL BEING ACCEPTED FOR DARLINGTON RACEWAY’S SPRING FLING 5K EVENT ON APRIL 1
- THIRD YEAR OF BOJANGLES’ LEGENDS BREAKFAST WILL BRING NASCAR ICONS BACK TO DARLINGTON RACEWAY
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY CREATES OVER $50 MILLION IN ECONOMIC IMPACT ANNUALLY FOR SOUTH CAROLINA’S PEE DEE REGION
- DARLINGTON RACEWAY ANNOUNCES STAGE LENGTHS FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND RACES